In 1841 Charles was living in Magdelen Street, Thetford at the home of Henry Bailey (a surgeon) and his occupation was given as Attorney. Ten years later his address was 5 York Place, Clerkenwell, Middlesex, occupation given as Solicitor and he was unmarried.
By 1871 he was living in Swanton House, Denham Road, Swanton Novers and according to the Census, he was a farmer of 417 acres employing 14 men and 7 boys + one laundress. The Census states that Charles was now married but by 1881 he was a widower.
A major restoration to Swanton Novers church, St Edmund’s, was carried out in 1881, when the North aisle was added and the arcading inside to go with it. At the same time the South porch was built to take the place of the old North porch which was removed. The architect then was Edwin Dolby of Abingdon and this work was largely at the expense of Charles Atkinson, whose altar tomb will be seen near the South porch.