Knapton’s Church Bells – the Ring of Five
In 1881 the architect, Sir Gilbert Scott, was brought in to arrange for the restoration of the Church. As a result of his inspection a great number of projects were undertaken but no work was carried out on the bells. The Church was reopened on Sunday, September 9th, 1883.
50 years after this restoration work was carried out the bells were sent to bell founders, Messrs. Gillett & Johnston. Their Croydon factory was one of the first steam-powered clock factories in the world and in 1868 the well-known clock tower at the factory was built as a working advertisement. They are now based in Bletchingley.
The three trebles were recast in 1932 and were rehung on a steel frame for six bells.
Knapton – Norfolk
Ring of Five
The Sixth Bell
A sixth bell was cast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry on the 20th December 1990 from a bell metal of copper and tin and weighing 3 cwts 1 qtr 13 lbs (171 Kg).
Installed on the 16th June 1991, the bell was a donated by a lady in remembrance of her Grandfather and has an inscription cast on the bell.
In Memory of Arthur Thomas King I.S.O. 1845 – 1922 President of the Middlesex Association of Ringers 1913 – 1922
(Foundry Mark) 90. Whitechapel
The Bells today…
According to Dove’s Guide for Church Bell Ringers, the authoritative source for current information about rings of bells since 1950, we have 6 bells in fine working order.
St Peter & St Pauls Church is a member of the Northern branch of the Norwich Diocesan Association of Ringers (NDAR), in the Diocese of Norwich.
It is recorded as having 6 bells, tenor 5-2-10 in Bb and the condition as being “Excellent”.
Usually very 1st, 3rd and 5th Monday of the month at 7:30pm.
Please check with Andrew for any changes or additions to this schedule.
The number of members has slowly dwindled over the years, from twelve in 2002 down to six in 2018, so it’s very likely that any budding campanologist showing interest in becoming involved would be welcomed.
Tel: 01263 722929
Or write to Andrew at:
9 The Green, Knapton, North Walsham, Norfolk NR28 0RU